First, I started with one of these. Remember the Funky Garden Pots? They're 20 inches in diameter and 18 inches tall.
I had been collecting empty wire spools from work planning to make them into outdoor tables with torches for next summer....
I had two sizes available and after playing around with them for
I took apart the 12" diameter wire spool to get the two disks. Next I found some scrap wood that would fit in the bottom of the pot and give a little extra height and secured them all together with some 2" and 2 1/2" screws I had available.
Then I dropped it into the pot - disk side up.
The two disks together created a little indentation in the center for the metal base of the tree trunk to set in. I lined the hole with some 1/4 inch gasket that work was going to throw out. One man's trash....
Since there was still some space around the edges, I search for something to wedge in and found 8 very thick placemats. I folded two together until they were thick enough to wedge it in tight. Sorry no pic of that.
And this is what it looked like with the base of the tree set in. The rubber mallet easily removed the plastic fixture at the base of the tree trunk that the plastic feet slid into. No plastic was injured in the process.
I purchased some inexpensive red material to place over the top of the wood under the branches...because if I didn't it would drive me nuts!
And here is the final result!
And here is my newest favorite ornament! (Thank you, Neen!)
Next year I might have to have two potted Christmas trees! Okay...truth....already planning it.